Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Inspired By Pinterest: Cream Slater Skirt

Hello readers! I apologise for the long absence from my blog. It is just that life became more busy and this blog was facing some sort of an identity crisis because it started as a place to talk about my craft and then it became more about fashion. I really should start a separate blog about my thrifted fashion finds but if I can't maintain this one, I think there is less hope of keeping up to date with the other one.

Last year, I pinned this image of a Victoria Secret model, Candice Swanepoel because I loved the simple yet chic look of this whole ensemble. It also helps that she is tall, young and blonde!


I looked through the internet to see if I could find something similar but then I thought, "Why not make it myself?"

So during a sale at Joann Fabrics, I spotted fabric in the remnant section. It was meant for curtains but it had a sheen to it that I liked. I think I paid $2-$4 for the whole lot.


I went through the internet to see if I could pick up some tips on how to sew a box pleated skirt and here is a helpful one. I did not use a yoke as she did and the width of my pleats were 2" wide.


After sewing the skirt, I realised that the colour and drape was different from Candice's. It was pretty labour intense because of the folding of the pleats.  


I did not zip up fully when I took the picture, oops. 


This is the bad thing about taking your own pictures. You don't get to see all the errors in your photo until the shoot is done. I did not notice that my shirt needed to be tucked in better so that there would be no wrinkling just above the waist. I have a preview screen but it is tiny and seriously when time is short, I don't really want to scroll through the pictures to see if anything is wrong. But I endeavour to improve my photography for my blog. The other strange thing is - can you see the stripes above? I reckon there is a funk with my camera because the lines are slanting in the picture. Does anyone know why that happens? All my photos have this slant and sometimes when I take pictures, it just makes people look weird.

Overall, I can't wait to wear this when summer rolls around. There is a blizzard outside and school is cancelled. I love snow days! My kids are outside sledding. Stay safe and warm, friends! 


2 comments:

  1. I love this skirt, but maybe not in the same color as the one you made

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I tend to agree with you - it was more of an experiment and the fabrics that I pick up are usually what is available from the thrift stores as I am learning to sew. Sadly this has never been worn and I might just donate it.

      Delete