Friday, October 29, 2010

My Chair

I have been slow in crafting for a long time. Since moving here, I find that I have less time to myself to do any crafting because I am spending more time cooking and cleaning, and driving my kids to and from school.

However, one indulgence that I have is re-upholstery classes and I never imagined that it would be so much physical work! To read more about the chair see here.

From this wonderful thrift store find, I am converting it to this:

It is still a work in progress but it has taken such a long time. I cannot count the times I have stabbed myself, stapled gun my fingers and tried not to bleed over my chair.

Here are some in between photos - I don't know if I can remember all of the steps but I hope to tackle another chair soon.  Well, as soon as I finish painting my walls, repaint some of my furniture and so on and so forth.  Think I will ever do another chair? I hope so!

I did not know that people used horse hair or hogs hair to stuff a chair. Apparently the really good quality chairs use horse hair whereas some other places like Asia use coconut husk. I just re-used the horse hair that was already in my chair.  I was a tiny bit grossed out by handling old horse hair. It just felt very coarse and reminded me of pubic hair.





Then cotton is placed on top of the horse hair before placing and stapling the fabric onto the chair.


Here is a picture that James took of me using my heavy duty nail gun in the family room.

I hope to finish this chair this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment